I’m going to try to pull together some excerpts from local reports on April 3d school referenda in the next few days (for the next We Are Not Alone entry). This is just an overview of those measures from the DPI listing.
· Total Referenda = 72
· Total Districts = 53 (about 1/8 of the districts in the state)
· Total Issue Debt (mostly building and renovation) = 33
· Total Non Recurring (operating and maintenance) = 24
· Total Recurring (operating and maintenance) = 15
· Largest Operating = $21,601,931 (Eau Claire Area)
If recent trends continue, about half will pass. This is not a system that is working for the children of our state.
Thomas J. Mertz
One response to “We Are Not Alone #4”
According to the Wisconsin State Journal:
The Madison School Board voted against asking taxpayers to help stave off budget cuts as Madison public schools face a projected $10.5 million budget shortfall.
The board voted 5-2 against holding a June referendum, a measure proposed by School Board Treasurer Carol Carstensen. Outgoing board member Shwaw Vang joined Carstensen in voting for the proposal that would have asked taxpayers for an additional $34 million over the next three years.
Read the full story at http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=126257&ntpid=5