I’m going to try to pull together some excerpts from local reports on April 3d school referenda in the next few days (for the next We Are Not Alone entry). This is just an overview of those measures from the DPI listing.
· Total Referenda = 72
· Total Districts = 53 (about 1/8 of the districts in the state)
· Total Issue Debt (mostly building and renovation) = 33
· Total Non Recurring (operating and maintenance) = 24
· Total Recurring (operating and maintenance) = 15
· Largest Operating = $21,601,931 (Eau Claire Area)
If recent trends continue, about half will pass. This is not a system that is working for the children of our state.
Thomas J. Mertz